Friday, November 9, 2012

Politics, Tolerance, and Sexuality


I really try to avoid politics at all costs.  Political events have a long history of making me depressed about things I have no control over.  They have led to fights that I have lost friends over.  Basically, it’s something I tend to avoid at all costs.

The only time I tend to really get vocal is when politics begins to infringe upon and attempt to define “proper” sexuality.  Kink is a large enough part of my life and identity that I tend to feel strongly about certain subjects.  I am not a LGBT rights activist.  I am pro tolerance.   

Just recently in my state there was an attempt to pass some very anti-gay legislature and it barely got shot down.  I had no direct interest in this as I am not gay nor I do not have any gay friends (although I have had them in the past).  I do tend to get a bit upset when the hate machine starts rolling on topics like these.  When power starts telling us what is “proper,” “appropriate,” and “decent,” there’s always some fear in my mind since you never really know how far they will go. 

When “traditional” values start being brought up it becomes clear:  I am a sexual deviant.  Anyone that considers them-selves to be submissive, dominant, switch, etc. would also be slapped with this label.  I consider my submission to be part of my sexuality.  It’s not something I asked for, nor wanted, but it’s something I have accepted about myself.  There was a time when homosexuality was viewed as being sexually deviant (and it still is by many) and most homosexuals I have known over the years have described their inner feelings as similar: they didn’t ask for it, didn’t want it, but they have accepted it.

History has shown that once the hate machine gets rolling, anyone different better watch out.  Anyone with D/s or BDSM type interests should be especially wary.

Not every state attempts things like mine.  Some did just the opposite.  That gives me hope.  Deep inside me I have a naïve fantasy that D/s will at some time be openly accepted as a sexual identity and possibly even recognized by law. It’s a long shot but you never know what will happen in the future.  A lot of it depends on which direction the ball starts rolling now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment