Monday, March 29, 2010

Comfort and Pleasure in Men's and Women's Clothing.

A few years ago, before I ever stumbled into the world of BDSM, I was in a serious relationship with a very sensual and kinky woman.  She was very beautiful, had an insatiable sex-drive, and was crazy about me for the person that I was at that time.

One evening we were having a random conversation and we got on the topic of men's vs. women's clothing.  She was curious why I had very little interest in my own clothing but I loved to shop with her for clothes for her and I often gave her gifts of clothes as well.  I felt that most men's clothing was fairly drab and in most cases, as long as the clothes fit well and were "nice," most men's clothing didn't have a heavy bearing on their appearance and had even less of a bearing on comfort.  I also mentioned that aside from shoes and certain types of undergarments that women's clothing was designed to be more comfortable and pleasing to the touch than men's clothing. 

She agreed with me on the first part and started to mention something about wearing very expensive suits but retracted it feeling that while an expensive suit might look nice, a less expensive suit might look nearly as nice, and so as long as it didn't look crappy or cheap, it didn't have much effect on what she deemed attractive.  She did, however, ask me to clarify a bit on the comfort/pleasure aspect and I replied with a few examples from shopping trips we had gone on and gifts that I had purchased for her.  She hadn't really thought about it before but agreed that the number of different fabrics and blends available in women's clothing was rather extensive and often reflected a great focus on comfort when involving materials such as silks and cashmere and even more basic items like the denim used in women's vs. men's jeans and the materials used in socks.

Luxury items accentuated these inequalities even more with tactile pleasures of items like fur and high quality leather as well as the relative acceptability of their use in each gender's fashion styles.  She then stated that she was glad that she was a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment