Saturday, October 21, 2017

Thoughts on strong submissives and the appeal of D/s

Originally Written: 10/16/17

I’ve had something on my mind a bit lately in regards to the idea of strong submissives.  This sub type has dozens of different names that you may have encountered it under.  I have seen it called an alpha submissive (which I don’t really like as a term), warrior submissive, Queen/Knight relationship, and so on.  Basically, this is someone that is strong, independent, and capable that chooses to submit to someone else.

It’s hard to make broad sweeping generalizations about D/s relationships that involve this type of submissive because the reasons aren’t all black and white.  While the dominant is seen as strong, the submissive is also seen as strong.  While the dominant may wish to force their submission at times, it is as much offered freely as it is taken.  Submission is given out of love and reverence, but at times there may be some fear involved.  Rather than nail down a concrete definition of this, my point is more to illustrate that this type of submissive has free will, thoughts, feelings and all that jazz.  They have strong personal qualities, the ability to make decisions, and a heart full of devotion.
These types of submissives are frequently the “life partner” submissives.

What is interesting to me is that in F/m, a very high percentage of Dommes are seeking this type of sub.  By contrast, this type of submissive seems to only make up a fraction of the female submissive population.

In the past when I have talked about this, the theories that Em over at Emdimensional and I came up with were focused heavily upon the nurturing characteristics of male dominants and possibly the prehistoric species-level instinct of women to want to mate with a strong male.  e.g. the male dominant says, “I want to protect you.”  The female dominant says, “I want you to protect me.”
Regardless of the validity of those theories, in F/m you will find a very low percentage of submissive men in loving, monogamous, long-term relationships that someone might perceive as “weak.”  In M/f, you will find a number of submissive types that if this were a parent/child relationship you would look up on and think, “they are being enabled,” and these types are nearly non-existent in F/m relationships.

One factor that may play into this heavily is how each gender has its dominant “sold” to them.  In M/f I find there is a lot greater emphasis placed around sexual acts.  Get what you want, whenever you want it.  Be in control.  Take charge.  A lot of people seem to see this and think, “blowjobs whenever I want them?  Sign me up.”  I do not mean to say that there aren’t male dominants that embrace control, dynamics and the like, I just have encountered too many piss poor dominants that used the role for sex.

When you see people selling D/s to female dominants, it’s a completely different pitch.  Don’t lift a finger.  Be pampered, worshiped, and waited on hand and foot.  Have sex on your terms.  Have him wrapped around your finger.  The most common interpretation of this ends up being centered around lifestyle improvements.  e.g. he does the chores, you get to do what you want, pick where to eat, what to watch, and so on.  Play?  If it exists at all, it is whatever she wants.

Why are these things so drastically different?  The only answer that I have is that there is a greater variety of male dominants that are looking for different things.  By contrast, you will find very few male pets, male littles, and the like leading lifestyle D/s relationships because most female dominants seek very specific types of male subs.

Another oddity is that even though F/m tends to have a high level of domestic service, the trend is still to seek out strong submissives.  This, I do have an answer for based upon years of interactions with Dommes.  Most Dommes looking for a life partner are prouder and more exhilarated by dominating someone they deem worthy.   If they are the most powerful being in the world, they would rather dominate the second most powerful being in the world than the weakest one.  They have no interest in the spineless, they have every interest in the strong back that bends only to them… even if it is simply to have that strong back cook, clean, and tend to the garden.

This is where a lot of male subs go awry.  Many think they are proving themselves worthy by how little personality they have, when this frequently has the opposite effect.

In many ways I think it would be useful for people of both roles and both genders to understand what else is out there and the why behind it.  People who are getting started tend to imitate what they see others doing and this can either open up or close off options.

As a male submissive I do not have options.  I must be a strong sub.  That is the acceptable role for me to be.  Even a sadist that wishes to break me and erase my person would rather break the strong sub vs. someone that is already broken.  As such, I have had to revise my ideals over time to match what is desired.  I have had to actualize these ideals in order to be chosen.  This heavily colors my perspective on the lifestyle, but in many ways this is not all bad, as it is often the missing perspective when it comes to helping others.

I find sharing this view helps a lot when interacting with female subs, especially those who are coupled with dominants that are not natural sadists.  When problems arise in those cases, it is sometimes a helpful question to ask, who does he want to submit to him?  Xena Warrior Princess or slave girl #7 off in the corner?  The answer isn’t always the one that is most desired by the sub, but sometimes it can provide that little glimpse of where things are going awry.

In some ways, the limited options in F/m make it a lot easier to anticipate what a dominant is looking for.  On the other hand, limited options… are limiting.  There are days where I would be absolutely certain I could make a kick-ass pet, but the realist in me knows that will never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment